June 18, 2007 - Death of Comrade Vilma Espín, communist revolutionary and leader of the Federation of Cuban Women (FMC).
Goals of the Federation of Cuban Women, established by Espín in 1960:
- Bringing women out of the home and into the economy
- Reorganizing peasant households that keep women in subservient positions
- Developing communal services to alleviate domestic work and childcare
- Providing equal opportunities for women
- Mobilizing women into political work and government administration
- Providing adequate working conditions “to satisfy the particular needs of the female organism and the moral and spiritual needs of women as mothers.”